News

Blaze destroys Anglemont duplex

Firefighters attempt to extinguish a blaze in a duplex located in Anglemont. The home was totally destroyed. - Photo contributed
Firefighters attempt to extinguish a blaze in a duplex located in Anglemont. The home was totally destroyed.
— image credit: Photo contributed

Columbia Shuswap Regional District volunteer firefighters were kept busy over the weekend.

At 1:47 p.m. Friday, Dec. 6, a construction worker in Magna Bay reported seeing smoke pouring from the crawl space of a side-by-side duplex in the Roost subdivision. Anglemont firefighters were on scene with apparatus within 13 minutes to find the structure fully engulfed.

“There was intense fire activity coming up the centre of the home,” says CSRD Fire Services co-ordinator Kenn Mount, noting the flames were coming out of the roof and in danger of jumping to a neighbouring structure.

“It was cold and windy and the crew did a pretty impressive job of saving the adjacent home.”

Home to two families, one holidaying in Hawaii, the duplex that was built in the ’70s was destroyed.

The 13 members of the Anglemont Fire Department extinguished the fire and remained on scene until 7:15 p.m., when neighbouring fire departments in Celista and Scotch Creek took over monitoring duties so the weary firefighters could go to their department Christmas party.

Mount says nobody was home in either residence at the time of the fire and all his investigation has revealed so far is that the blaze originated in the crawl space and may have something to do with frozen pipes.

While Mount was on his way to investigate the fire  Saturday, a structure fire was called in at 10:15 a.m.

Lights and sirens blazing, Mount sped to the scene – as did others.

“The Scotch Creek fire chief was already investigating in Anglemont so we had eight apparatus and more than 20 members at the scene within eight minutes,” says Mount, noting crews easily dealt with the chimney fire. “Damage was contained to the chimney, which needs professional work, but there was no smoke or water damage.”

Crews remained on scene until 11:15, leaving a “very  emotional woman, who seemed shocked there were so many of us there so quickly.”

From the chimney fire, Mount made his way to the duplex fire, where he spent the day carrying out his investigation.

He was just getting back to Salmon Arm at 8 p.m., when a structure fire was reported on Gannor Road in Ranchero.

“Smoke was coming out of the wall into the living room and Ranchero crews located the heat source in the wall using thermal imaging cameras,” says Mount of his second chimney fire of the day. “It looked to be due to some improper insulation on an older chimney built in the ’70s.”

Damage was limited to the space around the fireplace.

“It was an excellent response by Ranchero and the scene was well run,” says Mount, noting that 18 firefighters turned out and were at the scene for two-and-a-half hours.

“Residents need to be extra aware about Christmas trees, firewood, fireplaces and chimneys,” says Mount, pointing out CSRD volunteer firefighters are always ready to respond, even on Christmas Eve – if they have to.

“But it’s better to be prepared –clean the chimney, burn the proper wood and check your smoke detectors.”

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Community Events, April 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Apr 23 edition online now. Browse the archives.