News

Family safely escapes early morning fire

A Sicamous family had quite a scare when their daughter woke up to find her bed was on fire.

Sometime after 1 a.m. on Monday morning, seven-year old Violet-Mae Sholtz was startled out of bed when she rolled over and saw it was on fire. Wysteria, Violet-Mae’s mom, said her daughter ran out of the bedroom and woke her dad, Warren, who was sleeping in the living room. When he went in with a fire extinguisher, the flames were already up to the ceiling.

The family, including Violet-Mae’s older brother and one-year-old sister, along with pets, were quickly gathered outside on the driveway.

“It was pretty awful, but we’re just all really happy that we’re not in the hospital or mourning somebody,” said Wysteria.

Sicamous Fire Chief Brett Ogino says that at 1:23 a.m., firefighters received a call to attend a structure fire on McLean-McPherson Road. When they arrived, firefighters found it was, in fact, a residential fire.

“Fortunately, though there’s smoke damage and a bit of a nice-sized burn mark up the wall… the residents, they were able to extinguish it and got the kids out…,” said Ogino. “The house is OK, there is some pretty good smoke damage… I talked to the little girl and she said she kind of woke up, rolled over and she could see fire in front of her face. A little scary.”

Ogino believes the fire started from an electrical outlet near the bed.

“We’re not sure why the electrical plug would cause it, but you could see it started right there…,” said Ogino.

The house is owned by the Hutchinsons.

Wysteria says Violet-Mae is still disturbed by the incident, and none of the kids slept after the emergency evacuation.

“We’re all taking the day off school… we’re staying home today and we’re just going to hang out at grandma and grandpa’s… we’re all just going to take it easy,” she said.

Ogino is grateful the family got out OK, adding late-night fire calls can be unsettling for everyone involved.

“I never like those late-night structure fire calls – this was as good as they get. I’m glad everyone is safe, that was our biggest concern,” said Ogino.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

NDP blasts lottery corporation spending
 
Site C dam construction to start next summer
 
Update: Shuswap Middle School to reopen Thursday
Temperatures break records
 
Healthy environment a right
 
Woman rushed to hospital after train and car collision
Community crams two cruisers with food bank donations
 
Kitimat-Stikine regional district directors sworn in
 
LNG push holding up northwestern B.C. treaty talks

Community Events, December 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Dec 17 edition online now. Browse the archives.