- Our Town
- 2015 Federal Election
Fires, gas leak keep firefighters busy
The perogies were over-done but the house was intact.
Salmon Arm Fire Department Halls #2 and #3 responded to a report of a structure fire on Seventh Street SE at 4:17 p.m. Friday, March 21.
Fire chief Brad Shirley says the homeowner had started to cook perogies but left the kitchen and forgot about them.
The woman was safely out of her home when firefighters arrived. They donned breathing apparatus and entered the home, where they turned off the stove and aired the house out.
A couple of hours later at 6:27 p.m., Hall #2 responded to a complaint of a smouldering brush pile near Hillcrest School.
The property was the same one that sparked several complaints a week earlier.
Shirley says the property owner had been very accommodating and had stopped burning.
“A caller stated that one of the piles had started to smoulder and there was nobody there,” Shirley says of the Friday afternoon report. “It wasn’t a big threat, but if people are concerned we will go and check it out.”
The possibility of an explosion took members of Hall #2 to 2510 Fifth Ave. NE near Okanagan College at 5 p.m. Saturday, March 23.
A Telus contractor conducting drilling hit the Fortis line to the house,” says Shirley. “We made sure there was no chance of ignition sources,” he says, noting Hall #2 firefighters stood guard for four hours.