News

Controlled burn causes concern

 

Shuswap firefighters doused a smouldering fire Tuesday night, after receiving a call from a concerned resident, who reported seeing flames on London Lane in Notch Hill.

Shuswap Hall #1 fire chief Gary Hoult visited the site  and authorized the burn early in the morning when conditions were considered safe.

Hoult went to check  the property again at 7:30 p.m., when the burn looked like it was about finished.

Hoult went to the hall for Tuesday night training and says everyone was in the hall when the call came in as a nuisance burn.

“This is the time of year we have to watch, people burn their grass and it gets out of control,” he says, noting the decision was made to put it out to make sure the smouldering fire did not ignite again and spread.

Columbia Shuswap Regional District Fire Services Co-ordinator Kenn Mount warns that winds can whip the smallest burns into large fires very quickly if not managed properly.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Minister rejects report of ALR demise
 
Megan faces recurrence
 
Indoor kick-off
Opposition strong to expanded farmland uses
 
City of Kimberley honoured for new bridge over Mark Creek
 
Premier wants municipal pay to be election issue
Legal aid gets rare boost for family cases
 
Four packages out for Nelson mayor
 
Garbage truck catches fire near Summit Lake

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 1 edition online now. Browse the archives.