- Our Town
Firefighters clean up spilled fuel
Firefighters were able to easily handle a fuel spill at the Salmon Arm Co-op gas bar last Wednesday afternoon.
Assistant fire chief Rod Macfarlane explained that the leak originated from a vehicle, not from the pumps.
Firefighters were called to the gas bar about 4 p.m. on May 7 and cordoned off the pumps where a vehicle was parked and had been filling up. The gasoline went into the vehicle’s hose and then apparently back out onto the ground.
“They’d just had it serviced not too long ago and had work done on that area,” Macfarlane said.
Firefighters spread absorbent on the fuel and eliminated the danger.