- Our Town
BC Hydro meters a danger
It is the plan of BC Hydro to replace current electrical, gas and water meters with wireless devices using radio frequency waves to monitor and transmit information about each household’s consumption. These “Smart Meters” are enthusiastically promoted by governments and industry as a “green initiative,” but consider this.
• The costs of installing these meters in B.C. is nearly one billion dollars.
• Radio waves flood homes and neighbourhoods with invisible radiation 24/7, which affects DNA in all living organisms, especially during gestation and growth phases and when immune systems are compromised.
• The World Health Organization has classified EMR as a class 2b carcinogen.
• Wireless radiation can interfere with home appliances, security systems and heart pace makers.
• Private data is openly vulnerable to electronic hacking.
• 3,000 B.C. meter readers lose their jobs.
• Future cost increases are predictable.
“Maryland and Connecticut conducted pilot projects involving thousands of homes over many months to determine energy and cost savings. At the end of the project, no savings had been realized, leaving the states to conclude there was no financial or energy conservation justification for the program, and it was cancelled.”
So as always, the question we really need to ask is: “who benefits?”