A Google image of the Sky Blue Waters Resort.

Resort reopens following fire

Water tanks used until new pump house can be built

Business at the Sky Blue Waters Resort is back in operation, although with a temporary fix to their water situation.

Crews from the Tappen-Sunnybrae Fire Department were paged at 1:40 a.m. Monday, May 22 to respond to a structure fire at the Sky Blue Waters Resort.

Firefighters arrived to find a trailer and attached shed already fully engulfed, with the blaze having spread to an adjacent water pump house. This completely destroyed the water system for the resort.

Crystal Arnouse, an owner and manger of the business, says they have now installed temporary water tanks to provide water to the site, as authorized by the health authority.

“It’s a band-aid measure that we can do to get things running, while we wait for the insurance claim to allow us to rebuild our pump house,” she said. “We could not open until we had water, but these temporary tanks will at least let us get back to business.”

The residence was a summer vacation home and the owners had recently arrived for the long weekend.

“I think the father was awakened and he attempted to put the fire out, but it was spreading quickly. He went into the home, grabbed his wife and child, got them out and then went back in and got the dog out,” said Kyle Schneider, Tappen-Sunnybrae Fire Chief.

“The water pump house was side-by-side with the trailer, so it moved over very quickly. No one has water at the moment,” said Schneider later Monday morning.

A total of 10 Tappen-Sunnybrae firefighters and equipment arrived for the initial call, and then a crew of eight firefighters and three fire trucks from the Shuswap Lake Fire Department were also dispatched to the scene.

The fire was so intense when crews arrived that containment was the primary objective and crews were able to save the trailer parked next to it, as well as a nearby Dodge truck.

No one was injured, but the structures are a total loss.

Arnouse is appreciative of the work of the fire crews, as well as the tradespeople who came to assist with the installation of the temporary water system.

“People around here have really jumped in to help out. We are really lucky for that. It’s so fortunate no one was hurt, not even the pets.”

Schneider said the fire may have started in the shed, possibly the result of a malfunctioning battery for a child’s moped, which was the only mechanical item in that structure.

As the structure was a vacation home, the affected family returned to their full-time residence outside of the Shuswap.

Just Posted

B.C. man convicted in fatal boat crash awaiting appeal date

Leon Reinbrecht maintains rights breached by delays

JoeAnna’s House fundraising campaign reaches $4.5 million

Offering ‘home away from home’ for families of KGH patients

Food truck options to expand in Salmon Arm

City council votes in new food truck regulations

New commercial development coming to council

Liquor outlet and 60-seat restaurant among uses proposed by applicant

Kelowna West byelection called for Feb. 14

Four candidate race to replace departed former B.C. premier Christy Clark

Solitary-confinement veto a chance to address mental health: advocate

B.C. Supreme Court made the landmark ruling Wednesday

KIJHL prospects shine in showcase game

Top players for Kootenay and Okanagan conferences put best skate forward.

Challenge issued to ‘Read for 15’

Regional district libraries to compete by asking patrons to read for 15 minutes on Jan. 26 and 27.

Winter storm coming to B.C. this weekend

The bets are on as to how much snow the province will actually get in the coming days

B.C. civil rights group files complaint about RCMP arrest of man who later died

Dale Culver, a 35-year-old Indigenous man was arrested in Prince George last July

Public asked to report bat sightings

White nose syndrome leads to bats flying in winter or death.

Lawyer says former B.C. government aide ‘barely guilty’ in ethnic vote scandal

Brian Bonney pleaded guilty to a breach of trust charge

Quite a few tears as homemade quilts distributed to residents of Ashcroft Reserve, Boston Flats affected by last summer’s fire

Quilters in B.C. and Alberta worked through the summer and fall to create more than 100 quilts.

Island Health: No need for alarm in wake of Victoria needle-prick incidents

Three incidents in a week prompts meeting between health authority, city service providers

Most Read