The Copper Island Seniors Resource Centre provides several services to area seniors.

The Copper Island Seniors Resource Centre provides several services to area seniors.

Centre gets age-friendly funding

Copper Island Seniors Resource Centre has been granted $20,000 through the province’s 2015 Age Friendly Community Planning and Projects

Copper Island Seniors Resource Centre has been granted $20,000 through the province’s 2015 Age Friendly Community Planning and Projects.

Funded by the Ministry of Health’s Seniors’ Housing and Support Initiative and administered by the Union of British Columbia Municipalities, the money will support age friendly community planning.

The centre will receive $14,000  or 70 per cent of the funding now and the other 30 per cent after UBCM receives a satisfactory final report and financial summary.

All project activities must be completed within 12 months.

The announcement, terms and conditions of the project were detailed in a letter to the Columbia Shuswap Regional District and presented at the board’s Jan. 15 board meeting.

Electoral Area C South Shuswap director Paul Demenok said he is  pleased to be given the $20,000.

“I know they desperately needed money,” he said noting feedback to the recently opened centre has been positive.

“They provide Better At Home services, meal services and a whole host of other services for seniors.”

Demenok also thanked CSRD financial manager Jodi Kooistra for getting the application together to meet the grant deadline.

Area F director Larry Morgan told directors he would like to look at same opportunity for North Shuswap.

The centre now stocks frozen three-course meals for $7, supplied by Better Meals, a Burnaby company. Simply heat in oven or microwave.

Stop by on Tuesdays or Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. to see the menu, pick up meals, or call 250-515-6047. Delivery may be available.

Complete Foot Care treatment is provided at CISRC by a professionally trained nurse, including foot massage, for $30. Call 250-515-6047 to make an appointment.

The volunteer staff is ready to help with a variety of support services. Contact at 250-515-6047 or cisrcbb@gmail.com