Chris Harris of the Turtle Valley Donkey Refuge Society receives the top prize from Meghan and Chad Cameron of Cameron Exteriors Ltd. during the Shuswap Women Who Wine Community Giving Event on Friday, Dec. 6, 2019. (Kristal Burgess Photography)

Donkey refuge wins big at Shuswap Women Who Wine event

More than $4,000 awarded to Turtle Valley Donkey Refuge for education project

Donkeys of Turtle Valley were the big winners during the recent Shuswap Women Who Wine event at Salmon Arm’s Chances Casino.

More than $5,000 was given to local non-profit groups during the Shuswap Women Who Wine’s 6th Community Giving event, held at the casino on Friday, Dec. 6. Receiving the bulk of the money, $4,240, was Chris Harris and the Turtle Valley Donkey Refuge.

Harris said the funding will go towards an education centre at the refuge.

“The evening was magical and the group was so welcoming and supportive,” said Harris of the event.

The Shuswap Association for Community Living and the Shuswap Children’s Association each received $540 to help fund their needs. The funding was awarded after representatives from each of the groups did a presentation during the Community Giving event, explaining projects they’re working on that could use financial support. At the start of the event, attendees each donate $100. After the presentations, attendees choose by secret ballot who the money will go to, with 80 per cent going to the presenter with the most votes, and the remaining 20 per cent divided among the runner ups.

Read more: Charity and support spills freely from Shuswap Women Who Wine

Read more: Salmon Arm’s Women Who Wine ready to keep on giving

Read more: Warm winter clothes wanted for Women Who Wine, Downtown Salmon Arm initiative

Anyone interested in joining Shuswap Women Who Wine, a monthly women’s networking group, or would like to attend a future event, may visit www.womenwhowine.ca or email info@womenwhowine.ca.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

 

Meghan and Chad Cameron of Cameron Exteriors Ltd. present a donation to the Shuswap Children’s Association executive director Jo-Anne Crawford during the Shuswap Women Who Wine Community Giving Event on Friday, Dec. 6, 2019. (Kristal Burgess Photography)

Just Posted

Woman convicted in Salmon Arm love triangle murder granted escorted temporary absences

Monica Sikorski was 17 when she plotted shooting death of 22-year-old Tyler Myers

Shuswap’s water rescue crew preparing for frigid temperatures

New training follows Dec. 9 mission to help a man suffering health problems at remote cabin

Shuswap outdoor skating rinks open to public

Rinks in Celista and Silver Creek ready for outdoor fun

Slight drop in annual Salmon Arm bird count, seed sales spike

Shuswap Naturalist Club bird spotters excited to see several owls

Big projects ahead for Salmon Arm in 2020

Mayor Alan Harrison delivers annual state of the city address

Older Canadians highlighted in Kelowna film project to fight ageism

The project is part of a campaign to combat ageism

Revelstoke already double last year’s snowfall

The city is just below halfway to the snowiest winter on record

True Stories: Okanagan memoir-writers, reading

Reading with local North Okanagan writers Art Dalton, Patti Shales Lefkos, Raven Dahl, Janelle Hardy

Kelowna’s last video store, Leo’s Videos, to remain open despite failed sale

Kelowna’s last video rental store will remain open and under its namesake’s ownership

Salmon Arm Skating Club to host Okanagan Region Championships

280 skaters expected to compete in event taking place at Shaw Centre Feb. 7-9

Crown won’t appeal sentence in child sex assault case of former Burns Lake mayor

B.C. Prosecution Service said sentence doesn’t meet standard for appeal

Summerland drama students to stage Matilda

Story by Roald Dahl will be presented at Centre Stage Theatre in February

Kelowna’s ‘Baby Mary’ finds biological parents after more than 30 years

Geneologist and DNA test helped her connect with her biological parents

Oliver Health Centre celebrates expansion of ER

B.C.’s Minister of Health was in Oliver for the official opening of the improved emergency department

Most Read