LUMBER TOWN Mineola, a pioneer lumber town in Meadow Valley, was founded in 1904. The lumber mill was in full operation between 1910 and 1923. The mill owner was John Wesley Wheeler (1870-1928.) In 1924, the town virtually disappeared. Some houses and buildings were moved into Summerland. A former Mineola warehouse still exists near the intersection of Victoria Road and Jones Flat Road. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Former community of Mineola had a lumber mill

Community near Meadow Valley existed until 1924, but some buildings were moved into Summerland

Mineola was a pioneer lumber town located in Meadow Valley, north of the community of Faulder.

The town was founded in 1904. The lumber mill was in full operation between 1910 and 1923.

The mill owner was John Wesley Wheeler (1870-1928.) The town’s name, Mineola, came from Wheeler’s previous town on Long Island, New York. And that name originated from an Algonquin word meaning “pleasant village.”

Among those who settled in Mineola were Thomas and Alice Brennan, who came from England. Their son, Edmund W. (Eb) Brennan was born June 28, 1922, the couple’s third child but the first baby born in Mineola to have a registered birth certificate.

READ ALSO: A century ago, Summerland had numerous small schools

READ ALSO: Summerland once had multiple post offices

He was one of six children in the Brennan family. Brothers and sisters were Florence, Thomas, Nan, Robert and Roy.

The parents both died while the children were young.

Eb Brennan served in the Canadian Armed Forces during the Second World War. After the war, he was employed by Smith and Henry Trucking for many years, and later worked at the Summerland Research Station, as a technician in the virus station.

During its time, Mineola had a small school, with an enrolment of 12 students.

Eventually the area received some government funding in the amount of $150 which was put towards constructing a school. It was build by volunteers.

Teachers at the school included: Ada Murray, Ms. Roadhouse, Ms. Caldwell, Ms. McLachlan, Mrs. Spears and Mrs. Lee.

The school eventually shut down around 1923 when the mill closed.

In 1924, the town virtually disappeared. Some houses and buildings were moved into Summerland.

A former Mineola warehouse still exists near the intersection of Victoria Road North and Jones Flat Road.

To report a typo, email:
news@summerlandreview.com
.



news@summerlandreview.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Comments are closed

Just Posted

Sicamous business duo broaden downtown beach vibe

Jody Boychuk and Eddy Johnston enjoying bigger, brighter Sicamous location

Milestone RCMP Cops For Kids fundraiser ride going virtual

You can join and help RCMP raise funds for families and possibly win 20th anniversary cycling shirt

No abandoned Seadoo found on Okanagan lake

Vernon Search and Rescue crews and RCMP unable to find reported abandoned Seadoo on Kal Lake

QUIZ: A celebration of dogs

These are the dog days of summer. How much do you know about dogs?

Rainy June leads to another rise in Shuswap level

The level of the lake has peak and fallen again three times this year.

B.C. accommodators need phone lines to light up as in-province travel given green light

Travel restrictions during the COVID-19 pandemic have decimated the tourism and hospitality industries

B.C. extends income assistance exemption for COVID-19

Provincial program to match Ottawa’s CERB, student pay

Broadway veteran Nick Cordero dies from coronavirus complications

During Cordero’s hospitalization, Kloots sent him daily videos of her and their 1-year-old son, Elvis,

Coalmont woman airlifted after ATV crash

Off-road vehicle swerved to miss oncoming traffic

Northern communities welcome tourists as province opens to in-B.C. travellers

Officials have asked British Columbians to be careful as they travel this summer

Summerland campground to provide COVID-safe accommodations for temporary farm-workers

The managed seasonal worker campsite will be located within a separated area of Peach Orchard Municipal Campground

300 Cache Creek residents on evacuation alert due to flood risk as river rises

Heavy rainfall on Canada Day has river rising steadily, threatening 175 properties

Most Read