Glen Jones and Carly Marchand-Jones of Freedom’s Gate Equine Rescue Society are the overwhelmed recipients of the top donation at the Sept. 20 Women Who Wine Community Giving event. (Photo contributed)

Salmon Arm businesswomen overwhelm with support

Freedom’s Gate Equine Society owner grateful for $4,960 donation from Women Who Wine

The concern and generosity of a group of Salmon Arm businesswomen made for an evening of tears and joy for Freedom’s Gate Equine Rescue Society owner Carly Marchand-Jones.

On Sept. 20, the Shuswap Women Who Wine held their 5th Community Giving Event at the Harpur Family Farm. During the event, attendees received presentations from representatives of three non-profit groups: the Shuswap Family Centre, the South Canoe Outdoor School and Freedom’s Gate. Following the presentations, the attendees, who donate $100 each, decide by secret ballot which of the groups will receive 80 per cent of the money raised. The remaining 20 per cent is split between the two other groups.

Organizer Kailee Ramsell said $6,200 was raised, with $4,960 going to Marchand-Jones and Freedom’s Gate. The Shuswap Family Centre and South Canoe Outdoor School received $620 each.

Marchand-Jones said the money will be put towards an accessibility project that was pitched during the event.

“We’re going to use it towards doing some groundwork to make the property more accessible for children and seniors and people with mobility issues. So it’s a huge benefit to us, the horses and the community,” said a grateful Marchand-Jones.

Asked how her presentation went, Marchand-Jones described the experience as “overwhelming.”

“I am horrible at public speaking, and as soon as it was my turn to go up I just started crying,” said Marchand-Jones. “I said, ‘Sorry ladies, one minute.’ I had to regain my composure and then speak again.

Read more: Salmon Arm’s Women Who Wine ready to keep on giving

Read more: Shuswap’s Women Who Wine raises $6,000 for community groups

Read more: Shuswap Women Who Wine host community giving event

“What I do, I’m so emotionally involved in, it’s really hard for me. I knew no matter what, we were getting something that evening… I was just overwhelmed with the whole thought that other people saw the value in what I’m doing.”

Marchand-Jones said it is great how this group of local businesswomen comes together to recognize, celebrate and support the different not-for-profit organizations working in the Shuswap. For her, it was just another example of how people in the region are quick to step up and help those in need.

Marchand-Jones says her next project will be providing a public washroom so that Freedom’s Gate can host school field trips.


@SalmonArm
newsroom@saobserver.net

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

VIDEO: Salmon Arm students given chance to question candidates

More than 500 kids from Grades 4 to 8 attend all-candidates forum at Shuswap Middle School

Salmon Arm RCMP investigate child porn cases involving four or five suspects

Local police work in concert with Integrated Child Exploitation Team

Shaw Centre told to upgrade ice chilling system in 2020 or face closure

Fatal ammonia leak in Fernie prompts Technical Safety BC to order 20-year-old chillers replacement

Interior Health approves reopening of Sicamous elementary school

School District #83 intends to have Parkview back in operation as of Nov. 13

Public park shelter proposed in celebration of Salmon Arm volunteer Rob Nash

Salmon Arm council supports plan while family and friends to cover cost of building, materials

Scheer, Trudeau, Singh haggle over potential minority government outcome

If you believe the polls, it appears the Liberals and Conservatives are neck-and-neck

Canucks beat Stanley Cup champs 4-3 in a shootout

Leivo nets winner, Vancouver dumps St. Louis for fourth straight win

‘The more you test, the more you find’: Beef recalls a sign of success, experts say

Despite appearances, experts say a recent rise in major recalls is not a sign of food supply problems

One year later: Vernon pot stores look back at legalization

Edibles made legal on first anniversary of recreational cannabis

Memorial remembers North Okanagan’s most marginalized

Prayers and flowers for those who have died on the streets

Community Futures Shuswap’s Rob Marshall elected to B.C. board

Salmon Arm resident to take seat at table with Community Futures BC

Letter: Small actions of North Okanagan-Shuswap candidates speak volumes

Writer commends Salmon Arm high school students for helping at all-candidates meeting

Japanese buyer expands wood pellet contract with B.C.’s Pinnacle

Mitsui and Co. increases contract with Interior energy producer

Great Vernon Pumpkin Race to star in South Korean documentary

Pumpkin Classic event to kick off this weekend with gourd weigh-ins

Most Read