Son of Montreal mayor facing fraud, obstruction charges

Mayor's son faces fraud, obstruction charges

MONTREAL — The adult son of Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre is facing fraud and obstruction of justice charges stemming from an alleged cyberdependence issue.

Alexandre Coderre faces five charges according to a document filed at the Montreal courthouse, with the crimes alleged to have occurred between January 2015 and February of this year.

The 21-year-old has been charged with two counts of fraud and one each of credit-card fraud, making a false statement to police, and obstruction of justice for allegedly erasing data from his phone late last year.

In a statement to Montreal La Presse, Denis Coderre’s press attache said cyberdependence is at the root of the alleged acts and that the mayor himself alerted police.

Coderre also told the newspaper he doesn’t intend to comment further and will focus on taking care of his son.

The investigation was conducted by Quebec provincial police.

A justice of the peace signed off on the charges in late March and the younger Coderre was charged by summons, with a first hearing date scheduled for this coming Monday.

The Canadian Press

Note to readers: This is a corrected story. A previous version said the alleged acts occurred between January 2015 and January 2016

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Roots & Blues announces ticket giveaway ahead of online festival

The festival is streaming free online this year, but those who pre-register can win passes for 2021.

Vernon business restores faith in humanity for houseboat fire victims

Community kindness leaves out-of-province father in tears of appreciation

Sicamous Eagles’ Jaxon Danilec moving on to Alberta Junior A team

Following a divisional MVP performance, the Olds Grizzlys came calling

Military police motorcycle rally passes through Salmon Arm

The rally benefits a fund that helps blind children in Canada

Fire at Marble Point near Sicamous now under control

Two days of work on the fire has reduced its size and controlled it

371 British Columbians battling COVID-19, health officials confirm

Thursday (Aug. 6) saw a second straight day of nearly 50 new confirmed cases

Penticton man wakes to wildfire, forced to evacuate

A wildfire sparked off the side of Highway 97 near Penticton on Thursday

Anti-gang cops probe Kelowna’s street-level drug trade over B.C. Day long weekend

CFSEU’s Gang Enforcement Team was deployed to Kelowna last weekend

Man allegedly wielding knife at Kelowna Superstore arrested

The 29-year-old Kelowna man has been released on strict conditions for a future court date

Visitors and non-residents entering closed remote B.C. First Nation’s territories

With limited resources, they say they don’t have any authority or power to enforce the closures

UBC loses appeal on Fisheries Act convictions

BC Supreme Court upholds order to pay $1.55-million fine

Masks to be mandatory on BC Transit, TransLink starting Aug. 24

Both BC Transit and TransLink made the announcement in separate press releases on Thursday

Acclaimed B.C. actor Brent Carver passes away

Carver, one of Canada’s greatest actors with a career spanning 40 years, passed away at home in Cranbrook

Most Read