Shuswap firefighters doused a smouldering fire Tuesday night, after receiving a call from a concerned resident, who reported seeing flames on London Lane in Notch Hill.
Shuswap Hall #1 fire chief Gary Hoult visited the site and authorized the burn early in the morning when conditions were considered safe.
Hoult went to check the property again at 7:30 p.m., when the burn looked like it was about finished.
Hoult went to the hall for Tuesday night training and says everyone was in the hall when the call came in as a nuisance burn.
“This is the time of year we have to watch, people burn their grass and it gets out of control,” he says, noting the decision was made to put it out to make sure the smouldering fire did not ignite again and spread.
Columbia Shuswap Regional District Fire Services Co-ordinator Kenn Mount warns that winds can whip the smallest burns into large fires very quickly if not managed properly.