Members of the Salmon Arm Fire Department responded to the Shaw Centre shortly after 8 a.m. on April 1 in response to an ammonia alarm coming from the hockey arena.
According to Dale Berger, the operations manager of the Shuswap Recreation Society the alarm was the result of a glitch caused by the installation of new equipment and no ammonia was actually discharged.
He said the detector mistakenly sensed ammonia in the air exceeding 300 parts per million triggering the alarm.
The firefighters entered the rear of the Shaw Centre with their respirators on, but left the scene shortly afterwards.
The Shaw Centre was closed to the public for the Easter weekend at the time of the alarm.