Waterway houseboats went into receivership and ceased operations on June 11, 2019. (File Photo)

Waterway houseboats went into receivership and ceased operations on June 11, 2019. (File Photo)

51 out of work as Sicamous’ Waterway Houseboats shuts down

Cost of flood repairs blamed as company enters receivership, vacations booked now cancelled.

Waterway Houseboats Ltd. and associated company Vinco Holdings Ltd. have entered receivership and ceased operations after a June 11 Supreme Court of British Columbia hearing.

According to Colleen Anderson, Waterway’s operations manager, 51 Waterway staff members were laid off on Tuesday, a day she calls the saddest of her life.

“Waterways contributions to the community and many charitable organizations has been no less then greatly generous and non self serving,” wrote Anderson, who also sits on the District of Sicamous council, in an email to the Eagle Valley News.

Anderson described Waterway as a partner in the community that was happy to contribute to or create local events. She said the company worked to promote Sicamous by spending thousands of dollars in many forms for advertising media to welcome guests and visitors to come houseboating in Sicamous, resulting in major tourism income for the community.

Read More: Waterway Houseboats faces possibility of receivership

Read More: Video: Waterway Houseboats donation supports Shuswap rescue organization

Waterway’s contributions to the Sicamous community included an annual donation to the Shuswap Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue Station which totalled $13,000 in 2019.

The application for the appointment of a receiver heard by the Supreme Court of British Columbia was made by CIBC, Waterway’s bank.

A statement published by Waterway on June 10, before the receivership hearing, expressed disappointment that CIBC was proceeding with the application. The statement posted to Waterway’s website said the company had been working cooperatively with CIBC on a financial restructuring strategy over the past several months and felt it would have been successful given enough time.

On June 11, a CIBC representative said they could not comment on client matters.

The statement from Waterway added that CIBC had been supportive of Waterway’s efforts to rebuild after their property suffered serious damage in the 2012 flooding. The bank also supported Waterway through the court case which found the District of Sicamous, the Province and the owners of a nearby private property liable for the damage. According to the June 10 statement, the settlement awarded by the court did not meet Waterway’s expectations.

Read More: Waterway Houseboats wins $2 million for damages caused in 2012 flooding

Read More: Waterway Houseboats celebrates 50 years on Shuswap Lake

Alvarez & Marsal Canada was appointed as the receiver at the June 11 hearing. According to court documents, as receivers, Alvarez & Marsal has the power to take possession of Waterway’s property and to manage, operate and carry on the business, but they are not obligated to do so.

The June 10 statement from Waterway said it was their understanding that the receiver would not likely operate the business.

Jacob Taggart, a housekeeping employee who was laid off on Tuesday, described it as a big let down. He said the managers waited until 20 minutes before the end of the shift before gathering the staff in the parking lot to explain what had happened and give them their cheques.

“It was definitely one of my favourite places to work; the staff overall we had an amazing team, the managers kept everything going perfectly smooth, there was never any troubles or anything, we all got along and got our work done,” he said.

Taggart said he has noticed plenty of other job opportunities in the region, providing hope for him and the other staff who will be looking for work.

The cancellation of the houseboat holidays for those who had booked with Waterway was as abrupt as the layoff of the employees.

Caren Punton, a Kamloops resident, had booked a family gathering on a houseboat from July 7 to 11. She said she received an email titled “Important notice regarding your upcoming houseboat vacation” late in the afternoon on June 10 containing the same notice that was posted on Waterway’s website. It was followed up by another email confirming that Waterway is in receivership and the receiver will not be operating the business.

Punton’s email requesting a refund did not receive a reply, but her credit card company has said they give her a refund and then seek compensation.

“This was a once in a lifetime opportunity to get everybody together. We haven’t done a family vacation in a long time, as children grow up and grow out with their own families it gets harder and harder to get together.”

Fortunately, Punton said, her family was able to book a lakefront getaway on short notice. She praised the help she received from the Shuswap community in helping find an alternative vaction spot so quickly.


@SalmonArm
jim.elliot@saobserver.net

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Interior Health logo. (File photo)
Flooding at health centre cancels lab and medical appointments in Sicamous

A burst pipe caused the flooding which has not affected physician services

(File)
One death and 82 new cases of COVID-19 in Interior Health

1,981 total cases, 609 are active and those individuals are on isolation

A private retail non-medical cannabis store has been proposed for the Mall at Piccadilly. The application will go to Salmon Arm Council’s planning meeting for a referral on Dec. 7. (City of Salmon Arm image)
Retail cannabis store proposed for Salmon Arm’s Mall at Piccadilly

Application to come to council’s planning meeting on Monday, Dec. 7.

Dr. Albert de Villiers, Chief Medical Health Officer for the Interior Health Authority. (Contributed)
‘People need to start listening’: IH top doc combats COVID-19 misconceptions

Dr. Albert de Villiers says light at the end of the tunnel will grow in step with people’s adherence to PHO guidance

Access to a Bastion Road property in Sunnybrae was blocked with officers on scene on Wednesday, Jan. 8, 2020. (File photo)
Report clears RCMP actions that led to fatal shooting of Shuswap suspect

Independent Investigations Office of BC releases findings on Jan. 7 incident in Tappen

Motorists wait to enter a Fraser Health COVID-19 testing facility, in Surrey, B.C., on Monday, Nov. 9, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Another 694 diagnosed with COVID-19 in B.C. Thursday

Three more health care outbreaks, 12 deaths

Vernon-North Okanagan RCMP was called to a report of a fight at an Okanagan Landing Halloween party Saturday, Oct. 31, but issued the homeowner a ticket  under the COVID-19 Related Measures Act for having too many people at the party. (Black Press file photo)
West Kelowna man, dog rescued from carbon monoxide poisoning

The man was quickly transported to the hospital

The aftermath of the 3 a.m. fire in Keremeos. (Keremeos Fire Department)
Fire and explosion wakes Keremeos residents

A motorhome was consumed and a boat severely damaged after the 3 a.m. fire

Good Samaritan Mountainview Village located at 1540 KLO Road in Kelowna. (Good Samaritan Society)
First long-term care resident dies from COVID-19 in Interior Health

Man in his 80s dies following virus outbreak at Mountainview Village

A demonstrator wears representations of sea lice outside the Fisheries and Oceans Canada offices in downtown Vancouver Sept. 24, demanding more action on the Cohen Commission recommendations to protect wild Fraser River sockeye. (Quinn Bender photo)
First Nations renew call to revoke salmon farm licences

Leadership council implores use of precautionary principle in Discovery Islands

The former BC Tree Fruits office building at 1473 Water Street has been sold. (Contributed)
BC Tree Fruits downtown Kelowna office sold for $7.5M

Historic building sold for 44 per cent more than the $5.2-million asking price

Ten-month-old Aidan Deschamps poses for a photo with his parents Amanda Sully and Adam Deschamps in this undated handout photo. Ten-month-old Aidan Deschamps was the first baby in Canada to be diagnosed with spinal muscular atrophy through Ontario’s newborn screening program. The test was added to the program six days before he was born. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO, Children’s Hospital Eastern Ontario *MANDATORY CREDIT*
First newborn tested for spinal muscular atrophy in Canada hits new milestones

‘If Aidan had been born any earlier or anywhere else our story would be quite different’

Margaret Holm
HOLM: Better Bicycle Lanes

Margaret Holm writes about solutions to global warming

Man walking in the winter downtown.
Dyer: The role of air tightness testing in energy efficiency

Kristy Dyer has a background in art and physics and consulted for Silicon Valley

Most Read