A Salmon Arm firefighter thoroughly soaks a patch of grass around a hydro pole in front of an Auto Road SE property on Tuesday, June 29, 2021. (Lachlan Labere-Salmon Arm Observer)

A Salmon Arm firefighter thoroughly soaks a patch of grass around a hydro pole in front of an Auto Road SE property on Tuesday, June 29, 2021. (Lachlan Labere-Salmon Arm Observer)

Loud bang from hydro pole leads to grass fire at Salmon Arm property

RCMP, firefighters douse smouldering grass fire caused by faulty connection

A loud bang in front of an Auto Road SE property was soon followed by a call to the Salmon Arm Fire Department.

Around 11 a.m. on Tuesday, June 29, firefighters responded to a report of a brush fire in front of an Auto Road property. Upon arrival, firefighters found a smouldering patch of grass at the base of a hydro pole. Deputy Fire Chief Gary Lebeter said an RCMP officer had already doused the grass with an extinguisher. Firefighters proceeded to soak the area.

Lebeter said a resident on the property heard a loud bang and found a grass fire had started at the base of the pole.

“Hydro came on scene and they found a faulty connection on top of the pole leading into the house,” said Lebeter, guessing the current high demand for power may have been a factor. “High resistance created this spark which she (the property owner) would have heard, and of course the sparks drop down onto the ground and got the grass to smoulder.”

Read more: Penticton, Kamloops and Kelowna break all-time heat records 2 days in a row — and counting

Read more: Too hot for Vernon sidewalks to handle


lachlan@saobserver.net
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter