Mobile home owners urged to take precautions

In the wake of the tragic the Office of the Fire Commissioner urges owners of mobile homes to take extra care to prevent fires.

In the wake of the tragic fire that left a Sicamous father and his two young sons dead, the BC Coroners Service and the Office of the Fire Commissioner are urging owners of mobile homes and operators of mobile home parks to take extra care to prevent fires.

The Sicamous tragedy was not the only fatal fire over the New Year’s weekend to contribute to the warning. From Dec. 29 to Jan. 2, seven British Columbians lost their lives in five separate fires. Three of those fires and five of the deaths occurred in mobile homes or travel trailers being used as living accommodation. The causes of the fires have not yet been determined.

The government news release states that while mobile homes provide a source of housing for many British Columbians, studies show that fires in such housing, especially older units, tend to be more devastating than those in other forms of residence. A U.S. study found that the death rate in mobile home fires is substantially higher than in other housing.

The fire commissioner’s office notes that escape from mobile home fires can be more difficult for several reasons:

• the space is smaller, which puts the occupant closer to the fire;

• they do not ventilate as readily as other homes, so chances of survival decrease;

• a second exit is not always accessible; and

• they are sometimes made of more flammable material.

The government lists steps that can be taken to reduce the risk of all home fires.

• Have furnaces inspected at least once a year, and clean the blower and filters often to prevent overheating. Keep the furnace area clear of clutter.

• Ensure electrical wiring and appliances are in good working order. Watch out for any signs of wiring trouble, including flickering lights for no apparent reason; warm, inoperable, strange-smelling or discoloured switch plates or outlets; sparking or electrical arcing; or a blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker. Never run extension cords under rugs.

• Avoid the use of space heaters if at all possible. If it is essential to use one, use a CSA-approved model and ensure it is well away from drapes, bedding, clothing or other flammable materials.

• It is the law for all homes to be equipped with smoke detectors and fire extinguishers are highly recommended.

• If a natural gas or liquid propane (LP) line runs into the mobile home, know where the shutoff valve is and how to operate it. Never keep LP tanks inside the home or in confined spaces under the home, and never use a gas stove to heat or dry the home.

• Take special precautions with smoking materials. Ensure that all cigarettes and matches are fully extinguished and discarded well away from any flammable materials. Never smoke in bed.

• Consideration should be given to replacing wood-based combustible wall coverings with gypsum board products, which slow down the progression of fire.

• Recognize that impairment by alcohol or drugs can reduce one’s ability to respond quickly to a fire and get out in time.

Developing and practising home evacuation plans can help people prepare for an emergency. Most home fires occur at night, when people are the least prepared.

 

Just Posted

UBC researchers want to hear from rural Shuswap residents on health care

Once completed, the project will inform health care planning and policy decisions

Truck rollover west of Sicamous disrupts traffic for hours

The evening rollover on May 25 temporarily halted highway traffic near the Bernie Road intersection.

Okanagan-Shuswap weather: Thunderstorm possible for South Okanagan

The rest of the region will enjoy a sunny day.

Photos: Over 80 competitors took part in 3D Archery Shoot

The event is hosted by the Salmon Arm Fish and Game Club

Girl, 9, out of ICU after carbon monoxide poisoning in Shuswap tent

Her mother who was sleeping in the same tent with her did not survive

Police say it’s “impressive” no arrests were made after Raptors celebrations

Toronto will play the Western Conference champion Golden State Warriors next

KFD, COSAR rescue injured Okanagan hiker

Rescue happened after 1 p.m. on Lost Lake Trail in Kelowna after woman injured her leg

Social media giants in hot seat as politicians consider regulations in Ottawa

Committee members will also grill representatives from Facebook, Twitter

Neighbours help save Okanagan garage fire from spreading

Neighbours knock down fire enough before BX-Swan Lake firefighters arrive to fully extinguish

Kamloops RCMP investigate violent home invasion

Police believe the incident was targeted

Letter: Sicamous Bike lanes going unused

This letter writer feels too many people are forgoing bike lanes to ride in the street

Wildfire crews watching for dangerous wind shift in High Level, Alta.

The Chuckegg Creek fire is raging out of control about three kilometres southwest of the town

UN urges Canada to take more vulnerable Mexican migrants from Central America

The request comes as the United States takes a harder line on its Mexican border

Most Read