School district denies bus appeal

Despite an appeal from parents, the School District #83 board upheld a decision to cancel a school bus route

Daphne Brown

Despite an appeal from parents, the School District #83 board upheld a decision to cancel a school bus route that serves high school students in Lakeshore, Raven and a portion of North Broadview.

Parents started a petition drive and filed an appeal of the decision, citing safety concerns along Lakeshore Road, which has no sidewalks and narrow corners.

The school district cut the route this year as a way to save money after it was determined that this year there is only one student living on the route who is actually outside the school district’s walk limits. For students in grade four to 12 the school district’s acceptable walking limit is 4.8 kilometres. Many of the students previously using that bus route did not actually qualify for the bus ride under the walk limits, but were allowed to use the bus in previous years as there had been sufficient capacity.

Raven parent Daphne Brown also noted that the average high school student in Raven would have to walk 4.4 kilometres to the Sullivan campus. She also takes issue with the school district’s measurement process, noting that many of the students actually attend the Jackson campus, which is beyond the 4.8 km walk limit.

“If they go to Jackson, then I think that should be the valid measurement, from their home to Jackson – not from their home to Sullivan.”

The school district argues this is because students could walk to the Sullivan campus and catch a bus to the Jackson campus from there.

Brown says she was hoping trustees would give more consideration to safety.

“It is an unsafe, inappropriate route for students, for anyone really, to be walking. We were hoping the trustees would see that not all routes are created equal.”

In a letter denying the appeal, board chair Bobbi Johnson points out that school districts in B.C. are not required to provide any transportation of students to and from school.

“The funding the Ministry of Education provides for this service has not changed since 2002. Not surprisingly, the costs for transportation are significantly more than the funding received,” states the letter, which adds, “It is a parent’s responsibility to determine how their children will safely travel to and from school.”

The letter also notes reinstating the bus for this year would negatively impact the district from a cost perspective, as all the bus routes would have to be re-evaluated.

Johnson notes the school district will review the transportation routes in the spring for September 2016. However, “it is not possible at this time to determine what effect this review will have on your situation.”

Brown says while the decision of the board is final at this time, parents have requested a change of school district policy regarding the walk limits. A policy change could, however, take months or years for the school district to complete.

Brown is also hoping for better communication from the school district when bus routes are considered for cancellation.

“I am really disappointed, both that we lost the bus and with the inefficient process of school district administration.”

 

Just Posted

Shuswap Middle School requests city’s help in resurfacing sports courts

Total cost estimated at $43,000, school would like 50 per cent contribution

Warm winter clothes wanted for Women Who Wine, Downtown Salmon Arm initiative

Clothing for Community event on Oct. 29 to support Lighthouse Shelter, SAFE Society, CMHA

North-Okanagan Shuswap candidates spending little on Facebook

Social media platform posts what federal parties have paid to advertise

Non-compliant buoys to be removed from Shuswap, Mara lakes

Transport Canada enforcement action to occur Oct. 21 to 25

Coalition talk at Okanagan College candidates forum

Vernon Students’ Association hosts forum to discuss important youth issues, minority government

Competition shakes up for the Okanagan Mixoff

The Okanagan Mixoff takes place Nov. 7 in Kelowna

Woman, 24, faces life-altering injuries after being dragged 4 blocks by vehicle in Vancouver

A gofundme account says the woman will have to undergo multiple complex surgeries

Fatal overdoses down by 33% in B.C., but carfentanil deaths continue to spike

Carfentanil, an illicit drug more powerful than fentanyl, causing more deaths than ever

South Okanagan dangerous offender guilty plea struck down

Trial delayed again because Ronald Teneycke failed to elect his choice of trial

Six bears destroyed in three days in West Kelowna

A West Kelowna business has been charged for leaving garbage around Lake Okanagan Resort

West Kelowna Warriors being sold back to BC Hockey League

Current owner Kim Dobranski said the sale back to the BCHL should be completed by the end of October

Police standoff ends peacefully in West Kelowna

A distraught man was taken into custody Wednesday afternoon

Most Read