School smelly but students safe

Although some parents were worried, Interior Health says staff at Salmon Arm Secondary's Sullivan campus followed proper steps.

The odour of sewage tainted the air at Salmon Arm Secondary's Sullivan campus Tuesday.

It was stinky but it wasn’t dangerous.

That was the conclusion after the scent of sewage wafted through Salmon Arm Secondary’s Sullivan campus Tuesday.

Although some parents were concerned, particularly about the danger of gases produced by sewage, Dr. Kamran Golmohammadi, medical health officer for Interior Health, told the Observer the incident was handled correctly.

“It was brought to the attention of one of our environmental public health officers,” he said, who reviewed the situation and kept in communication with school officials.

“I don’t have any concerns with the way the case was handled.”

Golmohammadi noted, however, there is reason for concern when you smell such gases and, to complicate matters, there are toxic gases that have no odour.

“It’s a very combined and complex gas when you’re talking about sewer gas – it’s not one single agent or substance.”

In the case of the Sullivan campus, he said he understands it originated in an unused area. He explains that where plumbing is connected to the sewer, a level of water is kept in a U-shaped system called a P-trap.

“It’s a simple mechanism that keeps the sewer gas outside.”

When the water dries up in the trap, sometimes gas odours can be detected,” Golmohammadi said, noting gases such as hydrogen sulphide can be toxic and dangerous at certain concentrations.

The toxicity generally happens, however, in occupational settings where people are trapped in confined spaces with no circulation and a high concentration of the ingredient.

In a residence or school, he said, it’s not unusual for the cause of an odour to be the P-trap not working.

“Our advice would be to get in touch with the maintenance people and make sure the equipment is functioning and in good order,” he said, noting that circulation of air is important.

Many students left the school because of the smell.

Golmohammadi said people who are more sensitive might have a headache or irritation of the respiratory system.

Glenn Borthistle, superintendent of schools, said the district’s plumbers were called in and determined the dried traps were mostly likely the cause.

He said they tested for the presence of gases and found the school was safe.

The fire department was also called in and came up with the same conclusion.

Borthistle said principal Rob Macaulay spoke with an environmental health officer who confirmed the right steps were taken.

“It was an uncomfortable situation for sure but it was not unsafe,” said Borthistle.

The Snowball Dance that night was cancelled.

“Many students signed out that day because it was uncomfortable to be there, but while the smell was gone by noon, we thought, let’s not try to pull this together tonight.”

Overall, Borthistle said, “I’d like to express confidence in our operations staff, and how Mr. Macaulay approached the issue and made sure the building was safe.”

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Stanley Cup returning to Salmon Arm after 15 years

Resident excited for twice-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see iconic trophy

Money available to curtail nutrient pollution of Shuswap watershed

Excessive phosphorous could make algae blooms and other unpleasant conditions more common

Eight times a charm: Larch Hills skiers win team trophy at Teck BC event

Shuswap contingent wins Midget Championships honour eighth year in a row

Salmon Arm boy is only Para-Nordic athlete at BC Winter games

Thirteen-year-old Kaden Baum competed in three races on his sit-ski at the games.

Home loss ends season for Sicamous Eagles

A defeat at the hands of the 100 Mile House Wranglers on Feb. 22 was the Eagles’ last outing.

Okanagan rescue team comes back home from Australian mission

Brad Pattison’s team spent 33 days rescuing wildlife

Kelowna mayor to request RCMP’s ‘unfounded’ sexual assault report

RCMP said the report was completed over a month ago but have yet to release it or make a statement

Criminality not suspected in Ellison trailer fire death

The body was discovered after crews responded to reports of a house fire

VIDEO: B.C.’s seventh coronavirus patient at home in Fraser Health region

Canada in ‘containment’ as COVID-19 spreads in other countries

Kelowna youth accused of killing 16-year-old released

The young woman was arrested on Feb. 21 and is facing one charge of manslaughter

Interior Health appoints administrator at Summerland Seniors Village

Numerous concerns raised about private seniors care facility

Man arrested following suspicious trailer fire in Kelowna

Reports came in about the fire at approximately 11:45 a.m. on Monday morning

Body discovered following vehicle fire on Kelowna property

Firefighters discovered a body in a home on Anderson Road

‘Please be quiet,’ Kelowna Mayor tells sexual assault survivor protesting in council chambers

Forty per cent of sexual assaults reported to Kelowna RCMP in 2019 were deemed ‘unfounded’

Most Read