Fire crews responded to a fire inside a storage shed that is suspected to have started from a pinched extension cord.
At 8:47 p.m. on Tuesday, June 11, Silver Creek fire crews were called to an “open-ended storage closet” on a farm in the 700 block of Salmon River Road, where a small fire was burning.
Within 15 minutes, the fire was extinguished but fire crews remained on scene to make sure the area was safe.
The fire was just under three square meters in size, the flames reaching just over a metre high, still well below the three-and-a-half metre high roof, when firefighters arrived.
“There was a small workbench in there and they had power running into the corner, it looked like an extension cord was plugged in,” said Silver Creek Fire Chief Len Sarrazin.
“We’re assuming the extension cord got pinched under some equipment or something and started a small fire.”
To avoid this kind of accident, Sarrazin recommends not leaving equipment on the ground and storing extension cords properly so they don’t get pinched.