Vernon Fire Rescue Services members worked quickly to extinguish smoke coming from a first-floor suite in Vernon Sunday. The building’s residents were evacuated as the crew dealt with the smoke coming from a pot left burning on a stove, but returned after less than an hour outside. (Roger Knox - Morning Star)

Smoke contained to one unit in Okanagan condo fire

Pot left on stove said to be culprit of smoke that forced condo evacuation in Vernon Sunday

Byron Frances and Nykko Phillips put their lasagna in the oven Sunday afternoon to thaw, set the temperature, then went outside their Vernon condo to have a smoke and a walk.

Coming back to the Urban Pointe Condominiums in the 3800 block of 28th A Street, just before 4 p.m., the roommates heard fire bells, smelled smoke, two Vernon Fire Rescue Services trucks and firefighters and saw people gathering outside the building.

“We thought maybe it was our oven so we wanted to get inside and turn it off,” said Frances.

It wasn’t the men’s condo. Rather their neighbour’s, an unidentified woman who had been in the process of moving out.

“She came back to the building and found out it was her apartment,” said Frances, adding that Phillips was able to get inside and turn their oven off.

Vernon Fire Rescue Services was called to the scene and found smoke coming from one suite on the first-flour of the four-storey building that is home to approximately 40 units.

“We pulled up to the scene and could smell smoke; we were told it was on the first floor east, went into the first floor and it was full of smoke,” said Capt. Doug Imrich. “We had two members grab a hose line. It was in the first suite and it was a pot on the stove.

“The crew did a great job, got the fire out quickly and then we ventilated the building.”

Imrich said the fire was contained to the one suite which suffered smoke damage.

“The woman was moving out and didn’t think there was anything in the suite, but there was a pot on the stove,” said Imrich. “There wasn’t a lot of materials in the suite.”

Firefighters are familiar with the building, having been called there to what Imrich described as “numerous false alarms.” Even some residents didn’t heed the fire bell warning, thinking it was just another false alarm.

“The false alarms can get people a little complacent but people have to realize, whenever they hear the alarms they have to evacuate the building,” said Imrich. “The majority of people did evacuate the building. We were told there were a few people who are nonambulatory and they remained in place which is what we wanted.”

There were no injuries and residents were allowed back into the building after being outside for about 40 minutes.


@VernonNews
roger@vernonmorningstar.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

VIDEO: Salmon Arm students given chance to question candidates

More than 500 kids from Grades 4 to 8 attend all-candidates forum at Shuswap Middle School

Salmon Arm RCMP investigate child porn cases involving four or five suspects

Local police work in concert with Integrated Child Exploitation Team

Shaw Centre told to upgrade ice chilling system in 2020 or face closure

Fatal ammonia leak in Fernie prompts Technical Safety BC to order 20-year-old chillers replacement

Interior Health approves reopening of Sicamous elementary school

School District #83 intends to have Parkview back in operation as of Nov. 13

Public park shelter proposed in celebration of Salmon Arm volunteer Rob Nash

Salmon Arm council supports plan while family and friends to cover cost of building, materials

Scheer, Trudeau, Singh haggle over potential minority government outcome

If you believe the polls, it appears the Liberals and Conservatives are neck-and-neck

Canucks beat Stanley Cup champs 4-3 in a shootout

Leivo nets winner, Vancouver dumps St. Louis for fourth straight win

‘The more you test, the more you find’: Beef recalls a sign of success, experts say

Despite appearances, experts say a recent rise in major recalls is not a sign of food supply problems

One year later: Vernon pot stores look back at legalization

Edibles made legal on first anniversary of recreational cannabis

Memorial remembers North Okanagan’s most marginalized

Prayers and flowers for those who have died on the streets

Community Futures Shuswap’s Rob Marshall elected to B.C. board

Salmon Arm resident to take seat at table with Community Futures BC

Letter: Small actions of North Okanagan-Shuswap candidates speak volumes

Writer commends Salmon Arm high school students for helping at all-candidates meeting

Japanese buyer expands wood pellet contract with B.C.’s Pinnacle

Mitsui and Co. increases contract with Interior energy producer

Great Vernon Pumpkin Race to star in South Korean documentary

Pumpkin Classic event to kick off this weekend with gourd weigh-ins

Most Read