Your chances of being involved in an automobile crash in Salmon Arm are greatest at the intersection of the Trans-Canada Highway at 30th Street NE.
ICBC statistics between 2007 and 2011 show a total of 63 crashes at that intersection, which is more than double the next-highest collision location, at the intersection of 10th Avenue NE and Highway 97B. That intersection has seen 29 crashes over the same time period.
The intersection at Auto Road and Black Road saw 23 crashes during this time
All three of these intersections have had upgrades during this time; however, they remain the top crash sites for 2011, the latest for which ICBC data is available.
In 2011, the intersections at Trans-Canada Highway at 30th Street NE and at Auto Road and Black Road recorded seven collisions each.
The intersection at 10th Avenue NE and Highway 97B saw six collisions.
The intersections of 20th Ave. NE at 30th Street NE and Alexander street and the Trans-Canada Highway both saw five collisions each in 2011.
The statistics include collisions with casualties as well as those where only property damage was reported, but excludes parking lot collisions and crashes where a driver hit a parked vehicle.
When it comes to crashes involving motorcycles in the Salmon Arm area, it is far more difficult to predict where such a collision might occur.
Between 2007 and 2011, there have been 12 crashes involving motorcycles in the area, however no intersection has had multiple collisions. Crash sites include locations in Silver Creek, Gleneden, the area around 30th Street NE and Black Road. Interestingly, none of the crashes during this time period took place on the Trans-Canada Highway, although one took place on Highway 97B.
ICBC notes motorcyclists are eight times more likely to be killed in a crash than someone travelling in a car, and are 41 per cent more likely to be injured.
Top 10 intersections in Salmon Arm for crashes between 2007 and 2011 were:
1. Trans-Canada Highway (10th Avenue NE) at 30th Street NE – 63 crashes
2. 10th Avenue NE at Highway 97B – 29 crashes
3. Auto Road at Black Road – 23 crashes
4. Ross Street at the Trans-Canada Highway – 20 crashes
5. 10th Street NE at the Trans-Canada Highway – 19 crashes
6. Fourth Street NE at the Trans-Canada Highway – 19 crashes
7. Shuswap Street at the Trans-Canada Highway – 18 crashes
8. 10th Street SW at Lakeshore Dr. – 17 crashes
9. Alexander Street at the Trans-Canada Highway – 17 crashes
10. 20th Street NE at Okanagan Avenue – 14 crashes