RCMP are recommending charges connected with the incident on April 23. Photo credit: Andrea DeMeer Andrea DeMeer RCMP is recommending charges connected with the incident April 23.

Teachers say Princeton high school should have been locked down

Union brings in Worksafe BC over handling of starter pistol incident

Princeton teachers are upset with the way high school administrators dealt with an incident last month when a student produced a replica handgun.

Meanwhile RCMP are recommending charges to the crown for a 17-year-old male, who cannot be identified.

According to Corporal Chad Parsons a charge of possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose is pending.

Richard Jensen, president of the Princeton District Teachers Union, said he believes school policy was not followed when the principal and vice-principal approached a young man and asked to search his backpack.

Principal Patrick Kaiser learned of the replica gun – a starter’s pistol – from another student who had seen it, but Kaiser did not know if the weapon was real.

Teachers “are extremely concerned that a lockdown didn’t happen,” said Jensen.

“This has to do with workplace safety…We’ve referred the matter to Worksafe BC to determine whether or not the board policies have been followed.”

Jensen was called to the school by a teacher a couple of hours after the incident occurred on April 23.

“I can assure you I have put significant man hours into this issue and I’m still awaiting some feedback. It’s an ongoing issue at this point.”

According to district superintendent Steve McNiven, there are numerous policies that might apply to the incident at Princeton Secondary School, covering weapons, emergency procedures, and school safety.

“We have at least four policies that these things fall under…We certainly need to review those policies and take a look at them and see if anything can be improved.”

McNiven has been contacted by Worksafe BC.

“At this point they are asking us to continue with our review of it so that’s what we are doing.”

That review, called a Violent Threat Risk Assessment Protocol, will include a meeting with teachers this week.

McNiven said he is concerned the union approached Worksafe. “Yes, but I also think we are going through a good process and I think that particularly…we will get an opportunity to hear what their questions and concerns are.”

He declined to state whether the student at the centre of the incident has returned to school.

“I won’t comment on the student specifically at this time. I won’t respond to that.”

Related: Charges may be laid after starter pistol seized at school

Related: Student produces gun at Princeton Secondary School

To report a typo, email:
publisher@similkameenspotlight.com
.



andrea.demeer@similkameenspotlight.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Snowfall warning issued for Highway 1 from Salmon Arm to Golden

Environment Canada says to expect 15-30 cm of snow by Thursday evening

Single-bridge option chosen to replace RW Bruhn Bridge

Five-lane span selected over plan with second bridge at Main Street

UPDATE: Highway 1 closed east of Revelstoke, set to reopen at 7:30 p.m.

Highway 1 is closed east of Revelstoke near the west entrance to… Continue reading

Salmon Arm plans to ban single-use plastic bags

First six months of proposed ban would focus on education, not enforcement

Video: Truck crashes into ditch west of Sicamous

Reports indicate traffic is still flowing through the area

Man caught on camera allegedly trying to defraud ICBC

Auto-insurer warns B.C. drivers to record info after crashes

Warning issued as forecast calls for 20-foot waves in Tofino

Dangerous waves, strong currents and upper-shoreline flooding expected for Tofino-Ucluelet area

An 800-pound pig named Theodore needs a forever home, B.C. society says

‘Theodore is not destined to be somebody’s bacon’

Submissions sought for UBC Okanagan’s annual fiction competition

University’s annual short-story contest enters its 21st year

Teenager Alphonso Davies wins Canadian Men’s Soccer Player for the Year Award

Derek Cornelius and Chilliwack native, Jordyn Huitema were named Canadian Youth International Players of the Year

B.C. teen MMA fighter shows heart

Young Unity MMA competitors bring home Ws

2,000 Canadians died of an overdose in first 6 months of the year

New data from the Public Health Agency of Canada shows the crisis is not subsiding

Sicamous Eagles blanked by Princeton Posse at home

KIJHL squad takes a tough loss as Christmas break draws near

UK Prime Minister Theresa May wins party no-confidence vote, but troubles remain

May won the vote of 317 Conservative legislators with a 200-117 tally

Most Read