West Kelowna Fire Rescue responded to a blaze caused by an unattended candle on Sunday, Dec.8. (Metro Creative photo)

West Kelowna house fire demonstrates danger posed by candles

West Kelowna Fire Rescue says an unattended candle caused the Sunday afternoon fire.

A small structure fire in West Kelowna has prompted a warning from the fire department about the dangers of candles and leaving them unattended.

At 12:49 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 8, West Kelowna Fire Rescue responded to a report of smoke coming from a home in the 3000 block of Stone Ridge Drive. Two engines from the fire hall with nine firefighters as well as a safety officer responded to the call and quickly found a small fire on the main floor of the home. The first crew on scene quickly extinguished it.

Read More: Rutland’s annual Christmas light-up brings the community together

Read More: Chris Griffin to headline Cool Ranch Comedy’s last show of the year

None of the home’s occupants were home at the time of the fire and no pets were located either. According to the fire department, an unattended candle caused the fire. Assistant Fire Chief Lionel Bateman stated that damage from the fire itself was minimal but the home suffered considerable smoke damage.

A statement from the fire department recommends people take extra care if they will be lighting their homes with candles over the holiday season and suggests using battery-operated flameless candles, which can look, smell, and feel like real candles.

Read More: Brain injury from domestic abuse a ‘public health crisis,’ says B.C. researcher

Read More: Rockets extend point streak to eight games with shootout win over Blades


@SalmonArm
jim.elliot@saobserver.net

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Avalanche danger closes Highway 1 near Chase

The highway is closed in both directions east of Chase

Habitat for Humanity helps Sepwepemc families build houses near Chase

Homes intended for current families and generations to come

Shuswap residents urged to ensure their yard isn’t what spreads a wildfire

Watching out for the Douglas-fir bark beetle is recommended when fire-proofing

Kelowna grandmother scammed of $14,000 in phone scam

RCMP warn of Granparent Scam in the Okanagan after December incident

Former Salmon Arm assisted living facility up for lease

Building at 551 Trans-Canada Hwy. offers 31,000 square feet

Fashion Fridays: The basics you need for your body type

Kim XO, helps to keep you looking good on Fashion Fridays on the Black Press Media Network

Diners’ health tax not catching on in B.C., restaurant group says

Small businesses look for options to cover employer health tax

B.C. comic wins judgment after club owner slaps cellphone out of his hands

Incident happened last summer when Garrett Clark was performing in Abbotsford

Salmon Arm history in pictures: Farm fire

Museum asks for help to identify when and where photo was taken

Melted snow uncovers problematic potholes in Vernon

Temperature swings, precipitation behind cracked pavement, city says

Alumni trumpet band strikes emotional chord for Vernon girls

Vernon Girls Trumpet Band will be tooting their horn for the 60th Winter Carnival parade

Mayors call for ‘calmness’ as highway rockslide cuts Tofino, Ucluelet off from supplies

Ministry of transportation expects to open road for “essential travel only” from noon-8 p.m. Friday.

Albas to speak at Summerland Chamber luncheon

Event will be held at Summerland Arena Banquet Room on Tuesday, Feb. 11

Most Read