Reinforcing the value of citizenship

Every year the Government of Canada, in consultation with the provinces and territories, sets the total number…

Every year the Government of Canada, in consultation with the provinces and territories, sets the total number of permanent residents that are expected to be admitted to Canada the following year.

The levels plan reflects the objectives of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and balances priorities by allocating admissions space to the economic, family and protected persons/humanitarian classes, as well as to the programs comprising these classes.

The Government of Canada recognizes the importance of immigration in fueling economic growth and is planning to welcome between 260,000 and 285,000 new permanent residents in 2015. The economic category will account for almost 65 per cent of overall admissions helping to meet labour market demands in regions of Canada undergoing high economic growth. The other 35 per cent will be spread between family unification and refugee applicants.

Our government has also broadened the caregiver program to provide standards for caregiver compensation and allow caregiver status even if they do not live in the home of their employer.   This will help immigrant families remain united when one family member works as a caregiver.

Your government has better clarified for new immigrants, the language requirements and knowledge of Canada’s culture, and history, in an effort to help new immigrants understand their new home. New immigrants must now learn how we have moulded a country and established values of law and order, freedom and democracy, religious and ethnic tolerance through democratic consensus.

Today, the security concerns surrounding immigrants have become a high priority and this is why bills to further protect the safety of Canadians will be coming forward.

Canada was built on immigration.  Unfortunately, in the past, the system has been slow- moving and too generous, resulting in abuses. Your government is making it more efficient and more responsive to Canada’s needs while still welcoming those who wish to immigrate here and call Canada their home.

– Colin Mayes

 

Just Posted

Local pilot takes part in Salmon Arm’s first Remembrance Day flyover

Hamilton McClymont and other pilots pay aerial tribute at several North Okanagan ceremonies

Students, staff glad to be back at Sicamous elementary school

Operations resume at Parkview on Nov. 13 after a seven-week closure due to a musty smell

Concert hall and event centre proposed for Salmon Arm’s downtown

Property owner plans to provide a performance venue with future recording studio

New signage at hazardous Salmon Arm intersection result of ‘nudging’

Mayor pleased council’s requests for improvements to Highway 97B and 10th Avenue heard

Salmon Arm Seniors Resource Centre operations hindered by lack of space

Seniors support programs limited by lack of room at centre’s current location

VIDEO: Canadian allergists’ group wants Benadryl behind the counter due to side effects

Some doctors say the medication is over-used because of its easy availability

Yelling at your dog might hurt its long-term mental health: study

Researchers find dogs trained using negative reinforcement are more ‘pessimistic’

Vancouver Island soap company releases Lucky Lager beer soap

Beer-infused olive oil soap comes out just in time for holiday shopping

Jagmeet Singh says he’ll vote against throne speech if NDP requests not met

Singh is to meet with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Thursday

Community uses loophole to paint 16 rainbow crosswalks after B.C. council says no

So far 11 rainbows are painted and five planned, all since council denied the first proposal in September

Workers’ camp at LNG facility in Kitimat takes shape

Extensive worker camp now being assembled

Former B.C. youth pastor guilty on one of five sexual assault allegations

Judge cites reasonable doubt in finding Cloverdale couple not guilty of majority of charges

238 and counting: Vancouver gelato shop sets Guinness World record for most flavours

Vince Misceo has come up with 588 different flavours over the decades

Killer who fled to Taiwan day after shooting B.C. man over $80 sentenced 13 years later

The sentence comes 13 years after Shaoxin Zhang, 19, was killed in a Burnaby parking lot

Most Read