More than 30 athletes and coaches from Shuswap are representing the Thompson-Okanagan Zone 2 in the BC Winter Games to be held in Greater Vernon from Feb. 23 to 26.
• In badminton: Kael Amdam, Chantel Holmes, Samuel Kruk, Garrin McDonnell, Laura-Beth Moore, Hannah Whitehead and Luke Wiebe, who are all from Salmon Arm.
• In curling: Shayna Doll will be competing, with Darryl Horne as head coach, both of Salmon Arm.
• In female hockey, Hailey Haskell of Salmon Arm will compete.
• Assistant coach for judo will be Monica Gignac of Salmon Arm, while Ken Kosowick, also of Salmon Arm, will compete.
• In the ringette division, competing athletes are: Kaylinn Bihari of Salmon Arm, Amelia Kruk of Tappen, and Kairo Mair, Sara Martin and Taigan Radomske, all of Salmon Arm.
• For cross-country skiing: Elena Bruns, Mara; Micah Bucher, Tappen; Alexander Corbett, Salmon Arm; James Hardy, Salmon Arm; Eliza-Jane Kitchen, Salmon Arm; Nelson Kleer, Celista; Miya Kosowick, Salmon Arm; Andrew Nash, Salmon Arm; Glynis Sim, Canoe, and Seth Van Varseveld, Salmon Arm with Abbigail May of Salmon Arm as head coach.
• In the freestyle division of downhill skiing, Brandt Adams will compete.
• Alyssa Skaalid of Enderby will compete in speed skating, with Michael Hall of Salmon Arm as assistant coach.
The opening ceremony will take place at the Wesbild Centre at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 23. Competition will begin Friday morning, and will conclude no later than
noon on Sunday, Feb. 26. The closing ceremony will take place at the Wesbild Centre commencing at 1:30 p.m.
The Games feature 17 sports, including five types of skiing, figure skating, speed skating, curling and hockey. It also features several indoor sports like archery, badminton, gymnastics, judo and karate. It is expected that more than 1,500 athletes and 300 coaches will participate.
Surrey will host the 2012 BC Summer Games in July.