When it was all said and done, the Shuswap Swimming Masters Team ended the 6th annual Swim For Jim with a splash, claiming many top finishes at the memorial meet Sunday.
Held at the SASCU Recreation Centre pool, this annual meet is organized in memory of Jim Casselman, one of the founders of masters swimming in the Salmon Arm area. This year, all the proceeds went to the Asbestos-related Research, Education and Advocacy Fund.
All together, 27 athletes attended the event, with swimmers from Kamloops, Vernon, Revelstoke and Alberta competing against the Shuswap team, who had great results overall.
• 25-to 29-year-old women – Amber Greenwood 1st in the 100-metre backstroke.
• 30-to 34-year-old women – Mhairi Russell 1st and Serena Caner 2nd in the 50-m breaststroke; Serena Caner 1st in the 50-m butterfly; Russell 1st and Serena Caner 2nd in 100-m freestyle; Russell 1st in the 400-m freestyle.
• 35-to 39-year-old women – Erinn Milne 1st and Robin Watt 2nd in the 100-m individual medley.
• 40-to 44-year-old women – Gayle Heinrich 1st in the 50-m backstroke; Heinrich 1st and Daphne Brown 2nd in 100-m breaststroke; Heinrich 1st in 50-m breaststroke; Brown 1st in 400-m freestyle.
• 45-to 49-year-old women – Debbie Phillips 1st in the 50-m backstroke; Leanne Fair 2nd in 50-m breaststroke; Carson 1st in 50-m butterfly; Phillips 2nd and Angela Carson 3rd in 100-m individual medley.
• 65-to 69-year-old women – Berniece Saunders 1st in the 50-m backstroke and 100-m backstroke.
• 30-to 34-year-old men – Ceren Caner 1st in the 400-m freestyle.
• 45-to 49-year-old men – Vic Hamilton 1st in the 100-m freestyle.
• 55-to 59-year-old men – James Fair finished 1st in the 50-m breaststroke.
• 60-to 64-year-old men – David Saunders 1st in the 50-m breaststroke and 100-m backstroke; Bob Wilkins 1st and David Saunders 2nd in the 100-m breaststroke; David Saunders 1st in the 100-m individual medley; Wilkins 1st and David Saunders 2nd in the 400-m freestyle; Wilkins 1st in the 400-m individual medley.
The team practises five days a week from September through June.
Swimmers are welcome to join the team at any point in the season. Contact 250-804-2006 for more details.