Shuswap seniors brought home a barrel of medals from the 2011 BC Seniors Games held in Nelson, Castlegar and Trail last week.
The 2011 Games were spread throughout the three West Kootenay venues, and are open to people aged 55 years and up.
Results are as follows:
• Cribbage: Gold – Fred Rolf.
• Dragon Boat Racing: Bronze – Shuswap Coots – 55+ Mixed category. Team members are: Hellen Byron, Joan Cunningham, Carol Green, Gord and Wendy Henderson, John and Susan Hind, Reg and Dianne Janzen, Elaine Koskimaki, Tom and Gloria Makey, Dave and Gwen Martinuk, Dawn and Geoff Power, Mary Reynolds, Susan Saloka, Heinz and Virginia Strobl, Myron Scott, Ken and Sharon Thurston, Joyce Wessel.
Fifth place – Silver Dragons – Judy Bergsma, Sylvia Burnham, Marilyn Brown, Joan Cunningham, Joan Davies, Sandra Dionne, Janet Graham, Barb Hagel, Helen Hall, Donna Hazell, Barb Hyttenrauch, Dianne Janzen, Lana Kerr, Marie-Paule Lacasse, Val McKay, Carol Mikkelsen, Joan Mitchell, June Porritt, Vera Schreiber, Rigmor Short, Lorraine Tansley and Tyrril Tonks.
• Equestrian, ladies: Heather Dalemo, driving – one gold, one silver.
• Golf: Gold – Fred Holm, Silver – Bill Jordan.
• Hockey, 60-plus: Gold – Salmon Arm Cavaliers – Mark Dibblee, Dave Davidson, Hugh Hooker, Daryl Koskimaki, Gord MacKintosh, Chuck Mctavish, Bob Munro, Roy Sakaki, Victor Wasilenko.
• Horseshoes: Gold – Faith Juell; Bronze – Edwin Kreig, fourth, Clarence Juell
• Curling, Men’s 55-plus: Gold – Gord Duplisse, Randy Jenkins, John Danks, Eric Breitruez.
Mixed – Gold – Diana and Vic Endean, and Ada and Albert Kowalski from Chase
Ladies – Sixth – Trish Probyn, Dianne Bekker, Dorothy Bradford and Lisa Schwartzenhauer
• Pickleball, Men’s doubles – Bronze – Salmon Arm’s Keith Brown and Ron Telford from Kamloops.
Mixed Doubles – Fourth Linda & Keith Brown.
• Soccer, Men’s 60-plus – Bronze – Paul Corrie, Curtis McLeash.
Men’s 55-plus – Salmon Arm’s Wolfgang Bopp joined the Okanagan Zone 5 squad in shutting down defending champion Vancouver Island North 3-0. Bopp scored once and added an assist in the win.
Muriel Hurlbert – Silver – 200-metre Individual Medley; Silver – 800-m Freestyle; Bronze – 200-m Freestyle; Bronze – 100-m Backstroke; Bronze – 25-m Butterfly; Bronze – 100-m Individual Medley.
• Track & Field
Bev Wice – Gold – Relay; Silver – 400-m; Bronze – 800-m.
Patricia Larmand – Gold – 800-m; Gold – 400-m; Silver – 200-m; Silver – 1500-m; Silver – 5000-m; Bronze – 100-m; Bronze – 10-km road race.
The athletes were part of Zone 8, which covers a large area including: Anglemont, Ashcroft, Avola, Barriere, Blue River, Canoe, Celista, Chase, Clearwater, Clinton, Falkland, Grindrod, Kamloops, Lilloet, Little Fort, Logan Lake, Merritt, Revelstoke, Salmon Arm, Sicamous, Sorrento, Valemont and Vavenby.
Zone 8 had about 300 participants who claimed a total of 103 medals: 38 gold, 26 silver and 37 bronze.