At the Vernon Kokanee Fall Invitational Swim Meet in Vernon over the weekend, Shuswap Swimmers excelled at this second event of the season. Eight team members advanced to the finals, the team brought home 10 medals, broke 21 team records, and 10 swimmers achieved qualifying times for upcoming provincial championships later this season.
• 11- to 12-year-old girls: Morgan Rasmuson was eighth place in 100-metre butterfly and 200-m breaststroke races, as well as qualifying for the Swim BC AA Provincial Championships in the 100-m backstroke race. Teammate Lilli Rakose-Lund was 14th in the 50-m breaststroke, Molly Fogarty was 24th in the 100-m butterfly, Carrie Fromme was 26th in the 100-m breaststroke and Sandra Hall placed 32nd in the 50-m backstroke race.
The relay team of Rasmuson, Fromme, Fogarty and Rakose-Lund had a good 4 x 50-m medley race, picking up seventh, while the relay team of Fromme, Fogarty, Hall and Rasmuson picked up seventh again in the 4 x 50m freestyle.
• 13- to 14-year-old girls: Paige Coutlee earned eighth place in the 200-m backstroke final and qualified for the Swim BC AA Provincials in four different races: 50-m, 100-m and 800-m freestyle, as well as 200-m backstroke. Emma Pyle placed seventh in the 200-m breaststroke and qualified for the AA provincials in both the 100-m and 200-m breaststroke races.
• 15-and-older girls: Bree Cooper brought home four individual medals from the competition: gold in the 50-m and 100-m butterfly, and silver in the 50-m and 100-m freestyle races. Cooper was the only swimmer on the team to qualify to race at the Swim BC AAA Provincial Championships, doing so in the 100-m butterfly. Teammate Jessie Baird placed 17th in the 800-m freestyle race, improving nearly 30 seconds from her previous best time.
The relay team of Coutlee, Baird, Cooper and Pyle combined for fast racing to earn third place in the 4 x 50-m freestyle and fifth in the 4 x 50-m medley races.
• 10-and-younger boys: Jacob Rambo won three silver medals in the 50-m butterfly, 100-m backstroke and 100-m freestyle races, also qualifying for the Swim BC AA Provincials in both the 100-m backstroke and 100-m butterfly races.
• 11- to 12-year-old boys: Olin Mosher picked up the silver medal in the 100-m freestyle, and bronze in the 200-m breaststroke race. His time in the 50-m freestyle earned him a spot at the Swim BC AA Provincial Championships. Ethan Pyle placed ninth in the 100-m breaststroke race as his best result at the competition.
• 13- to 14-year-old boys: Thomas Flahr picked up the bronze medal in the 100-m butterfly, qualifying to race at the BC AA Provincials. Ethan Quilty was fourth in the 50-m butterfly and Ty Webster-Locke was sixth in the 100-m butterfly, each qualifying to compete at the coming Swim BC AA Provincials. Torrey McKee’s best result was ninth in the 50-m butterfly.
The relay team of Mosher, Webster-Locke, Quilty and McKee earned second place in the 4 x 50-m freestyle, while McKee, Quilty, Flahr and Webster-Locke raced to third in the 4 x 50-m medley races.
• 15-and-older boys: Logan Pilias picked up seventh place in the 50-m freestyle final, earning a berth at the BC AA Provincial Championships.
The Swim BC AA provincial qualifiers of Coutlee, Flahr, Mosher, Pilias, Pyle, Quilty, Rambo, Rasmuson and Webster-Locke will be off to Surrey in February 2013, while Cooper will be off to the Swim BC AAA Provincials taking place in Victoria in March 2013.
There is still room on the team for those interested in joining. Call 250-804-2006 for more information.