history

The booklet roots present day activism in the history of racist policies, arguing the history must be acknowledged in order to change. (CCPA)

New resource dives into 150 years of racist policy in B.C.

Racist history must be acknowledged in order to change, authors say

 

Students from Summerland’s Okanagan College often posed for photographs on the Big Rock. The rock was on the northern slope of Giant’s Head Mountain. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Summerland’s Big Rock had been deposited during last ice age

Rock was once a prominent feature on Giant’s Head Mountain

  • Feb 25, 2021

 

Rob Rondeau, PhD candidate at SFU, is embarking on a mission to find definitive evidence of human migration to the continent. (SFU supplied image)

VIDEO: Marine archaeologist looking for clues of ancient migration in B.C. waters

SFU researcher hoping to find 15,000 year-old archaeological sites underwater

 

One of the winners of the City of Salmon Arm’s heritage conservation awards were Parmjit and Kulwinder Chahal who oversaw major restorations of the Downtown Activity Centre. (City of Salmon Arm/Facebook)

City of Salmon Arm recognizes heritage building owners

The owners of five old homes and buildings received awards for their restoration and preservation.

One of the winners of the City of Salmon Arm’s heritage conservation awards were Parmjit and Kulwinder Chahal who oversaw major restorations of the Downtown Activity Centre. (City of Salmon Arm/Facebook)
A building at the corner of Main Street and Victoria Road in Summerland has been a downtown landmark since 1907. The building, originally the Summerland Supply Co. building, has had many uses over the years. (Summerland Museum photo)

Historic 1907 building still a Summerland landmark

Intersection of Main Street and Victoria Road has seen numerous business changes over the years

A building at the corner of Main Street and Victoria Road in Summerland has been a downtown landmark since 1907. The building, originally the Summerland Supply Co. building, has had many uses over the years. (Summerland Museum photo)
Lord Shaughnessy’s Summerland Development Company hired F.H. Latimer to survey our new town. Latimer, in the centre of this photograph, is working at the base of Giant’s Head Mountain. In 1901, Latimer produced a comprehensive study of a new water system for Shaughnessy, prior to the founding of Summerland. Historic photos and files from the Summerland Museum are now available online. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Summerland Museum provides historic resources online

More than 10,000 records will be available for public viewing

Lord Shaughnessy’s Summerland Development Company hired F.H. Latimer to survey our new town. Latimer, in the centre of this photograph, is working at the base of Giant’s Head Mountain. In 1901, Latimer produced a comprehensive study of a new water system for Shaughnessy, prior to the founding of Summerland. Historic photos and files from the Summerland Museum are now available online. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
The the J.R. Campbell home in Summerland has been selected as the community’s heritage building for 2021. (Contributed)

Summerland’s Campbell house recognized for heritage value

Former mayor was also named Summerland’s 1955 Citizen of the Year

  • Feb 17, 2021
The the J.R. Campbell home in Summerland has been selected as the community’s heritage building for 2021. (Contributed)
There were no images of Salmon Arm’s wood clad fire hall on Shuswap in the community archives until this digital image of the Reid family was donated. Image, circa 1930s, from the Phil Wright collection and courtesy the Archives at R.J. Haney Heritage Village and Museum.

Shuswap history in pictures: Reid family photo

City’s former fire hall visible in background

  • Feb 16, 2021
There were no images of Salmon Arm’s wood clad fire hall on Shuswap in the community archives until this digital image of the Reid family was donated. Image, circa 1930s, from the Phil Wright collection and courtesy the Archives at R.J. Haney Heritage Village and Museum.
Summerland’s Main Street ( Granville Road) in 1925 had wooden sidewalks. The photograph shows the Drug Store, A.J. Beers Shoe Store and on the far right, the recently rebuilt Gartrell Block, now the IOOF Hall. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum.)

Summerland’s downtown once had wooden sidewalks

Present-day Main Street was once named Granville Road

Summerland’s Main Street ( Granville Road) in 1925 had wooden sidewalks. The photograph shows the Drug Store, A.J. Beers Shoe Store and on the far right, the recently rebuilt Gartrell Block, now the IOOF Hall. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum.)
Summerland’s second hospital was built in 1914. The land, known as Hospital Hill, was donated by the Summerland Development. At the time, the cost of the hospital was $5,996. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum.)

Summerland hospital served community during previous pandemic

Hospital, constructed n 1914, was in use during the 1918 Spanish flu

Summerland’s second hospital was built in 1914. The land, known as Hospital Hill, was donated by the Summerland Development. At the time, the cost of the hospital was $5,996. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum.)
An anonymous donor gave the Salmon Arm Museum this image in 1987. Is it the Sperry SRS 199 (Doodlebug)? Inquiring minds would like to know. Email archives@salmonarmmuseum.org. Image courtesy the Archives at R.J. Haney Heritage Village and Museum.

Shuswap history in pictures: Doodlebug?

Image donated to museum in 1987

  • Jan 25, 2021
An anonymous donor gave the Salmon Arm Museum this image in 1987. Is it the Sperry SRS 199 (Doodlebug)? Inquiring minds would like to know. Email archives@salmonarmmuseum.org. Image courtesy the Archives at R.J. Haney Heritage Village and Museum.
Group of cowboys on horses out rounding up cattle, 1888. The Greater Vernon Museum and Archives is celebrating Vernon Winter Carnival’s Wild West theme with a virtual trip back in time looking at the ranching days. (GVMA #5021)

Museum rounds up North Okanagan’s wild west past

Vernon Winter Carnival event, Meanwhile…Back at the Ranch, Feb. 9

Group of cowboys on horses out rounding up cattle, 1888. The Greater Vernon Museum and Archives is celebrating Vernon Winter Carnival’s Wild West theme with a virtual trip back in time looking at the ranching days. (GVMA #5021)
Someone doesn't mind the snow! Mike Bodner has a smile on his face in the winter of 1982. Bodner lived on Coronation Ave (7th St. SE). Mayor W.K Smith and council named the street to commemorate the crowning of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953. This image is from the John Coulton Collection and courtesy the Archives at R.J. Haney Heritage Village and Museum.

Shuswap history in pictures: Enjoying the snow

Mike Bodner has a smile on his face in the winter of 1982

  • Jan 18, 2021
Someone doesn't mind the snow! Mike Bodner has a smile on his face in the winter of 1982. Bodner lived on Coronation Ave (7th St. SE). Mayor W.K Smith and council named the street to commemorate the crowning of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953. This image is from the John Coulton Collection and courtesy the Archives at R.J. Haney Heritage Village and Museum.
The Hilborn home on Logie Road in Summerland was built by the Nelson brothers, who also built the buildings at the Summerland Research Station. (Contributed)

Early Summerland researcher pioneered greenhouse use

Joseph Hilborn and his brother William advoacated greenhouse work in the early 1900s

  • Jan 13, 2021
The Hilborn home on Logie Road in Summerland was built by the Nelson brothers, who also built the buildings at the Summerland Research Station. (Contributed)
Don Grabowecki documented downtown Salmon Arm during his career in the Camera Department at Ready’s Rexall. Grabowecki studied photography at the Vancouver School of Art and was also skilled darkroom technician. The subject is a clue to the location of the photograph. Valley Wagen was located on Palmer Street near Ross. Palmer Street was absorbed by the Trans-Canada Highway. Image courtesy the Archives at R.J. Haney Heritage Village & Museum

Shuswap history in pictures: Valley Wagen

Don Grabowecki documented downtown Salmon Arm

  • Jan 12, 2021
Don Grabowecki documented downtown Salmon Arm during his career in the Camera Department at Ready’s Rexall. Grabowecki studied photography at the Vancouver School of Art and was also skilled darkroom technician. The subject is a clue to the location of the photograph. Valley Wagen was located on Palmer Street near Ross. Palmer Street was absorbed by the Trans-Canada Highway. Image courtesy the Archives at R.J. Haney Heritage Village & Museum
A road building crew in Solsqua stops for a smoke break circa 1913. Standing in the back row are George Finucane and Bill Coxworth. In the front row are Tom Fish, Otto Sirvio, Karl Adling, Fred Cole, and Bill Waddel. (Sicamous and District Historical Society Photo)

Shuswap History in Pictures: Road crew

A construction crew in Solsqua takes a break and poses for the camera.

A road building crew in Solsqua stops for a smoke break circa 1913. Standing in the back row are George Finucane and Bill Coxworth. In the front row are Tom Fish, Otto Sirvio, Karl Adling, Fred Cole, and Bill Waddel. (Sicamous and District Historical Society Photo)
A house for the Sabourin family is towed to its final destination near Sicamous using a barge and tugboat in 1934. (Sicamous and District Historical Society Photo)

Shuswap History in Pictures: A very different kind of houseboat

In 1934, Sicamous residents looked on as a whole house was moved by barge down the channel

A house for the Sabourin family is towed to its final destination near Sicamous using a barge and tugboat in 1934. (Sicamous and District Historical Society Photo)
One of the artillery shells remaining in the Stevenson family collection. The one that is missing has distinctive German script stamped on the base and is believed to have been fired from a massive naval or siege gun. (Contributed)

Family seeks historical artillery shell casing missing from late father’s Shuswap home

The shell was once fired out of an uncommonly large German artillery gun during the First World War

One of the artillery shells remaining in the Stevenson family collection. The one that is missing has distinctive German script stamped on the base and is believed to have been fired from a massive naval or siege gun. (Contributed)
One of the artillery shells remaining in the Stevenson family collection. The one that is missing has distinctive German script stamped on the base and is believed to have been fired from a massive naval or siege gun. (Contributed)

Family seeks historical artillery shell casing missing from late father’s Shuswap home

The shell was once fired out of an uncommonly large German artillery gun during the First World War

One of the artillery shells remaining in the Stevenson family collection. The one that is missing has distinctive German script stamped on the base and is believed to have been fired from a massive naval or siege gun. (Contributed)
Logging camp at Upper Adam's River by photographer W.F. "Monty" Montgomery from Chase, B.C.
The exciting news of the completion of the Adams Lumber Company brought Monty to Chase. Armed with an 8 x 10 camera, he began documenting the area. According to author Joyce Dunn, Montgomery was never allowed to retire. He "dealt with the realism of industry with the precision of superb photography." Date of photograph unknown. Image courtesy the Archives at R.J. Haney Heritage Village and Museum.

Shuswap history in pictures: Adams Lumber

The completion of the Adams Lumber Company brought W.F. Montgomery to Chase

  • Dec 15, 2020
Logging camp at Upper Adam's River by photographer W.F. "Monty" Montgomery from Chase, B.C.
The exciting news of the completion of the Adams Lumber Company brought Monty to Chase. Armed with an 8 x 10 camera, he began documenting the area. According to author Joyce Dunn, Montgomery was never allowed to retire. He "dealt with the realism of industry with the precision of superb photography." Date of photograph unknown. Image courtesy the Archives at R.J. Haney Heritage Village and Museum.