UPDATE: 11 a.m. Monday, July 30
Salmon Arm Fire Chief Brad Shirley says Firehall #2 responded to the van fire at about 8:30 p.m. Friday, July 27.
He says the driver of the Volkswagen van believed the vehicle was overheating and pulled over to the side of the road, where he saw a fire in the engine.
Shirley says the van was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived and was completely destroyed by the fire.
The family from Kamloops escaped without injury.
It looked frighteningly like a wildfire from some vantage points, but it was actually a vehicle.
Emergency crews responded to a van burning behind the Salmon Arm Rec Centre, in the same area as the parking lot of the former Mino’s Restaurant.
The fire department covered the van in foam, but before the fire was completely extinguished big plumes of grey and black smoke were rising in the sky over the rec centre.
The air in the vicinity was putrid with the smell of burning rubber.
No word yet on cause or if anyone was injured.