Skiers and boarders won’t be able to hit the backside of SilverStar Mountain Resort for a few days.
The cold snap has forced the hill to close Putnam Creek Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (Dec. 19-21). The closure is necessary due to safety, as it takes a lot longer for patrol to rescue someone from the backside.
“Bring the long johns – it will be extremely cold over the next several days in the wake of an arctic front,” the resort said.
Monday’s temperatures will see a high of -19 C with a trace of flurries.
More snow, three to seven centimetres, is expected Tuesday with a high of -16 and a low of -27.
The resort offers some tips on how to ski comfortably during this cold snap:
– Layer up! (even the pups are!)
– Take lots of breaks inside to warm up
– Get some hand and toe warmers from Evolve
– Wear a full-face balaclava, no bare skin!
– Do short laps on the gondola
– See our team in Double Diamond to get a fresh cold-weather wax for your skis or board
and subscribe to our daily newsletter.