Salmon Arm firefighters respond to a report of a commercial structure fire in the 700 block of Lakeshore Drive. The business was evacuated due to smoke coming from the warehouse area in the rear of the building. (Lachlan Labere/Salmon Arm Observer)

UPDATE: Smoke the result of city sewer testing

Firefighters determine smoke coming from dried-out floor drain

Update, Jan. 31, 2:40 p.m.

While there was smoke, there was no fire.

Firefighters responding to a report of a commercial structure fire at the NuFloors building at 775 Lakeshore Drive had some good news for the business.

The smoke that had prompted the building’s evacuation Friday afternoon, Jan. 31, was related to the sewer system smoke testing being conducted by the city.

The City of Salmon Arm public works department confirmed Friday was the last day of testing. Advance notification of the testing was distributed to residences and businesses throughout the city.

The city’s website notes the smoke is harmless and dissipates quickly; however, it can activate smoke alarms.

Salmon Arm Fire Department deputy fire Gary Lebeter said the NuFloors staff did the right thing calling 911.

“When in doubt, call us out – that’s what the taxpayer is paying for and that’s what we’re here for,” said Lebeter, explaining the smoke entered the building through a dried floor drain.

“The P-trap inside the floor drain was dry of water so some of the smoke came out into the building,” said Lebeter. “What happens is people don’t realize that the P-traps will dry out and we’ve actually had calls in the past where they thought it was a natural gas leak but they were actually smelling the sewer.”

Lebeter added with some people will put olive or vegetable oil in P-traps located in areas where they don’t get water in them.

“It won’t evaporate and it just seals the odours from coming up,” said Lebeter.

As part of its smoke testing notification, the city advises to make sure all drain traps under basins, washing facilities and floor drains have water in them.

“If smoke enters your home or business during testing, you should try to monitor where it is coming from and open your windows,” states the city’s website. “You should then call a plumber; there is a strong possibility that there is a deficiency in your plumbing and that harmful sewer gases may be entering your building. If you are unsure whether the smoke is from our testing, you should call 911.”


@SalmonArm
newsroom@saobserver.net

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Original

Salmon Arm firefighters are currently responding to reports of a structure fire at the NuFloors building at 775 Lakeshore Drive SW.

Reports of smoke coming from an interior wall of the building were received at approximately 1 p.m., firefighters are reporting the building has been evacuated and the incident is being investigated.

So far, no open flames have been reported by firefighters, but smoke can be seen coming from inside the building.

An Observer reporter is heading to the scene, updates will be provided as more information is made available.

 

Just Posted

Waterway Houseboats wins $2 million for damages caused in 2012 flooding

Province of British Columbia, District of Sicamous among defendants required to pay

South Shuswap property owner blindsided by land-use concerns

Brad Long working with Agricultural Land Commission to bring uses into compliance

Salmon Arm inventor creates rooftop sprinklers to protect from wildfires

The Water Winger can be placed at the peak of a roof without climbing a ladder

Okanagan-Shuswap weather: Sun makes way for rain clouds

Environment Canada is forecasting a mixed bag of conditions

CSRD Board backs more consultation on plans to help caribou

It is feared that the caribou recovery plans could result in closure of backcountry areas

Homeless activists outside Notre Dame demand ‘a roof too’

Wealthy people have donated millions to effort to rebuild cathedral after devastating fire

South Okanagan society looking to bring new racing event to their park

The Desert Park Exhibition Society board is looking into hosting another major event

Youth Shelter Fundraiser encourages kids to play for a good cause

The fundraiser takes place April 27 at the EnergyPlex

Okanagan power outage scuttles – but not ruins – city’s mission’s Easter meals

Vernon’s Upper Room Mission will serve Easter dinner a day later due to downtown power outage

Sri Lanka invokes war-time military powers after nearly 300 killed in Easter bombings

Sri Lanka’s minister of tourism says 39 foreign tourists were killed in the Easter Sunday attacks

Netflix filming in North Okanagan

Multiple downtown locations and scenic areas to star in TV production

Pelicans spotted in Peachland

Four American white pelicans were caught on camera on Okanagan Lake

EDITORIAL: Time to end a pipeline feud

B.C. would not be the only one to lose if Jason Kenney makes good on his promise to turn off the tap

Ex-mayor of northern village claims its drivers are overpaying ICBC $1,800 a year

Darcy Repen says data shows Telkwa households are being ripped off for car insurance

Most Read